Thursday, April 15, 2010

mmmmmmmmm Cake

Since it is my first wedding anniversary coming up end of the month and I seem to be really hungry right now, I have been thinking about my wedding cake.

We got married in Thailand and my wedding cake was a Sacher Chocolate Cake. It was the most delicious chocolate cake I think I have ever had. So my mission for tomorrow afternoon is going to be to make one. The only thing is from my other research I think it is normally apricot jam used in the cake.... so will just have an internal debate tomorrow as to which I think will taste better.

I have found a recipe on line for the cake


1 C plain flour
1/4 C cocoa powder
100g unsalted butter
2 T strawberry jam
4 eggs, seperated
2 T strawberry jam, extra, melted

Ganache Topping
150g dark chocolate, chopped
1/4 C cream

PREHEAT OVEN to moderate 180 degreesC. Brush a deep 20cm round cake tin with melted butter or oil, lint the base with paper; grease the paper.

Sift the flour and cocoa into a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre. Combine sugar, butter and jam in a small pan. Stir over low heat until the butter has melted and sugar has dissolved; remove from heat.
Add butter mixture to dry ingredients. Using a whisk, stir until just combined; add egg yolks, mix well.

Place egg whites in small, clean, dry mixing bowl. Using electric beaters beat until soft peaks form. Using a metal spoon, fold egg whites into cake mixture.
Pour mixture into prepared tin; smooth surface. Bake 50 mins or until skewer comes out clean when inserted in the centre of the cake. Leave cake in tin15 mins before turning onto wire rack to cool.

To make Ganache Topping:

Combine chocolate and cream in small pan. Stir over low heat until chocolate has melted and micture is smooth. Remove from heat. Cool.
Cut the dome off the top of the cake horizontally. Turn the cake so that the base side is up. Brush cake with extra jam. Place on a wire rack set over a baking tray.
Pour Ganache Topping completely over cake. Smooth top and sides using a flat-bladed knife.

2 comments:

  1. happy anniversary :D
    mines coming up next week ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its gone so fast too... Can't believe its been a year already... it really only feels like it was last month lol

    ReplyDelete